Saturday, August 19, 2006

Not-quite midlife crisis...in ink.

Behold my homage to the great Henry Rollins, plastered (painfully, I might add) on my back:



(Here's the original, on the man himself):


Lots of people have asked, "why?" I can't say I blame them. I mean, who gets tattoos of band logos on their backs, not to mention the logo of a hardcore band typically displayed with "Search and Destroy" above it? Certainly not 35-year-old women! Well, call it another phase in my not-quite-midlife crisis, but it definitely was not a whim. Like all my other tattoos, it was a well-thought-out decision and was years in the making before finally happening. And, for the record, my first one was the Urban Blight logo on my shoulder...so band logos are not anything new to this bod.

I've tried to explain it every which way I can. Rollins Band is my favorite. Henry Rollins is my hero. The album which sports the logo on its cover, The End of Silence, is one of my favorite RB albums (Come in and Burn is my favorite and means even more to me, but the razor skull x-ray just wasn't as appealing...) and is deeply significant to me. The details of the significance are personal, private, and profound. But you know what? At the end of the day, I needn't have to explain it to anyone.

As Henry himself said, "It'll destroy you if you try to make it mean anything to anyone but yourself."

So there. Search and destroy, indeed.

2 comments:

sara said...

that's hardcore. theres nothing wrong with band tattoos. i have 1 already, and am planning a nine inch nails reference to go along with my soon to be absinthe fairy tat. rock on.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Dee Dee!!

Cool tattoo... see ya at Oktoberfest... you better be there, wench! :)