Friday, June 10, 2011

Also, why are people so GOD DAMNED RUDE?

I can forgive this coming from the mouths of my friends, or even coworkers. But strangers and casual acquaintances who ask me, "how come you never got married?" really GRIND MY FUCKING GEARS.

My cousin asked me the other day in the course of conversation, "are you gonna have kids ever, or no?" It was a purely innocent question. He's family. He's allowed. But everyone else? You are NOT ALLOWED. You are NOT ALLOWED to ask me personal questions. I don't ask you about that thing on your face, I don't ask you why your taste in clothing sucks, I don't ask you how you lost that tooth. So really, just shut the fuck up, all right?

NO. I'm NOT GOING TO HAVE KIDS. And that's part of the reason I never got married. Men want children. Who knew? And I'm somehow "defective" for lacking a maternal instinct. Somehow I was supposed to ignore that little factoid and just go ahead and push out a couple kids because that's what society says we're "supposed" to do.

I've had men on dating sites tell me straight up that there's something wrong with me for not wanting kids. I've had men cease all communiques once I explain my position.

I even had one guy who swore he didn't want kids change his tune after we'd gone out a few times, though I think he just said that 'cause he knew it'd make me go away.

Maybe there IS something wrong with me. Man...

No comments: