Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Out of sequestration!

And so I have, this evening, joined the ranks of those who have finished reading the seventh - and final - installment in the Harry Potter series.

It took me longer than I'd thought it would to read it, only because I was having some difficulty finding significantly adequate chunks of time during which to read. I hated the thought of trying to read it a few pages at a time, and my 10-minute breaks at work were just enough for me to get so engrossed in the story that I would return from the break feeling anxious and resentful about having had to stop reading.

I will admit that, yes, I cried throughout various points in the story, and at the end of it as well. My tears at the end were a mixture of sadness, happiness, bittersweetness, and the hollow feeling that comes from knowing you've reached the terminus of something you wish would never end. And yet I was almost disappointed at the ending.

Now, of course I cannot give said ending away or offer much commentary on it, at the risk of producing a spoiler for those of you who've not yet finished. But now at least I no longer need to shield myself from the blogs and messageboards and myriad commentary on the book.

I wonder if this is how the O.J. Simpson jury felt after the trial.

No comments: