Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Blogger Envy

I have someone new in my life. Don't get too excited, because it's not like that. Sure, he's fabulous and smart and funny and adorable and all that fun stuff, and no doubt the boy invokes some serious squishiness within, but he's on the other side of the world in Asia and will likely remain there for a very long time. He has, in fact, no plans to ever return to the United States. So, sure, he's awesome, but he's, you know, not here. Whatever. My point is that I've been inspired a great deal by this person.

He is a master blogger. Serious, serious blog action going on with this guy. He has dozens of blogs; public blogs, private blogs, blogs that tell stories, blogs that spill his deepest thoughts, blogs for commentary, blogs for opinion, blogs that chronicle his journey, blogs that highlight his work, et cetera. I'm just blown away.

I look at my little blogs (I have this one and then a couple of school-related things out there, too) and then I read his, and I'm like, "oh. I kind of suck a little." And it's not only Asia Boy, either. I put myself up against the other bloggers I follow - Jen over at All Things Jennifer, Sally at Unbrave Girl, Shaun at Me On a Diet, etc (see my roll), and I realize how woefully inadequate I am when it comes to this practice. It is, in part, because I simply do not have TIME to deal with the blogging thing every day. It's also in part because brevity is not my strong suit (really? Tell me you hadn't noticed) and so I find it hard to just pop in and tap out an entry on the fly. I take some time to think about what I'm going to write, and honestly, I think my "drafts" list is just as long as my "posts" list. I tend to get going on something, not know how to finish it, and then abandon the effort. So while it may appear that I don't update for a really long time, I really am sitting here basking in the glow of my 24" iMac and typing out my thoughts. Just some of them never make the cut.

I should work on that, really.

Oh, and check it out: I've lost 40 pounds as of yesterday. Go me!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW 40 lbs, great job D2!!!

BuffaloJenn said...

I appreciate the quality of your posts. Quantity isn't a big issue because I know two things:
1. You'll always make me think
2. Your writing will always impress me

Congrats on 40 lbs.!

Sally said...

Ummm, in case you haven't noticed I'm not exactly the Queen of Brevity myself! In fact, I've gotten a lot worse as the years go... when I first started blogging, I could easily bang a couple paragraphs in an hour and consider myself done. Now it takes me 5-6 hours and about 20 paragraphs! Aaghh! I don't want it to but it does... this has stopped me from blogging on a couple occasions because I'm like, "Oh, I don't have that much time." (especially back when I had a job).
Even though I wish I could keep things short, at the same time I know it's just part of the way I write... and the few people that have the time to read my stuff enjoy it... So, you know, don't change it if that's the way you think & write.
I do find it has helped to give myself a schedule... I usually post one long piece on the weekends so the week before I think up my topic and start writing down notes & taking pictures of stuff... that way I have plenty of thoughts & material, just have to find the time to get it all into the computer (again, much easier now that my main job is kitties!).

JS said...

YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION AND I LOVE READING YOUR BLOG! :)