Sunday, September 23, 2007

Getting in touch with my "other" roots


This weekend was the annual Oktoberfest party at the Central Terminal, where I've been a volunteer for the last four years. This year was the second year I donned the "Bier Wench" outfit for Oktoberfest, and as you can see from the above photo, I had a pretty good time!

Anyway, I've decided recently that while I am proudly ensconced in my Irish heritage, it's high time I started recognizing and appreciating the other nationalities of which I am made. The Irish part is easy because I just look the part so well (that, and the fact that Irish people tend to disregard/squelch/ignore/deny any other non-Irish part that might by lurking within the genes). However, just because the Irish part of me is so dominant does not mean I can't appreciate the other parts of me, one of which is, indeed, German. My grandmother on my father's side is of German descent, though it's something that we just never talked about in the family. My mother's side is mostly English and is largely settled in Canada.

Partaking in Oktoberfest celebrations has made me realize that I should be proud of my German heritage, even if it is just a small part of me. Watching some of the older German folks, dressed in their Oktoberfest finest and dancing the polka like pros, made me wish I was more connected with that side of me. Perhaps it is because that part has been repressed for so long, or maybe I just like the idea of being something other than Irish, I don't know. Or maybe because the Germans drink just as much as the Irish it appeals to me more than if I were, say, part Amish or something.

In any case, I've decided that I would like to explore my roots some more, research just where exactly my family came from - all of them, not just the Irish ones.

No comments: