Tuesday, September 04, 2007

New fur!

By happenstance, a little black and white kitten has found her way into my home - and my heart. Meet Giblets, the newest addition to the ever-growing furry family!




She's about five months old, and I swear she's the reincarnation of Lepew. She's completely affectionate, friendly, and vocal - everything that Turkey is not (yes, that's correct; my cats' names are Turkey and Giblets). It was only somewhat accidental that she arrived to the Planet Deedums Zoo; a few weeks back I was browsing some online pet ads, just because I'm a freak and like to look at the photos. Well, this little girl struck me for some reason, so I responded to the ad. The woman who'd placed the ad replied that she'd already adopted this kitten out, so I figured it was just not time to get another kitten and I went on with my life.

Then two days ago, I got an email from the woman again, telling me that the original adopter wasn't a good fit, and that the kitten was mine if I wanted her. Well, that was all the sign I needed. I picked her up yesterday, and for the last 36 hours or so have been enduring a cacophony of hisses and growls, punctuated by an occasional cat-scream. Yikes. I've never had more than one cat before, except the time my roommates surprised me with two kittens that they'd brought home and I swiftly moved Lepew to my boyfriend's house. So this is totally new to me. From what I'm told, eventually things will calm down and they'll become friends. I'm hoping this is true, since the whole idea behind getting another cat in the first place was to ease the transition for Turkey once Alex is gone (though I'm convinced at this point that dog is immortal).

Oh, and I welcomed four more rats into the colony a few weeks ago. Eight wasn't enough after all. Two of the four were babies from Paula's litter that came back because their new owner wasn't able to keep them. The other two were their cagemates.

At this point I'm beginning to think that buying stock in Petsmart might be a good idea.

No comments: